Authorities in Dallas, Texas say that a masked gunman who attempted an attack on the Earle Cabell Federal Courthouse in downtown Dallas on Monday was indeed shot and killed by officers. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has identified the gunman as Brian Isaack Clyde, 22, a former United States Army private who served for two years.

According to the FBI, Clyde was killed in a gunfight that erupted between himself and federal security guards outside the Federal courthouse. CBS Dallas reported dozens of Dallas Police Department squad cars and emergency vehicles from Dallas Fire-Rescue were on the scene after the active shooter situation at the building located in the 1100 block of Commerce Street.

FBI Dallas Special Agent in Charge Matthew DeSarno said at a press conference, “Shortly after the incident began this morning, officers from the Federal Protective Service engaged the shooter who was later identified as Brian Isaack Clyde. He was taken to Baylor hospital and pronounced deceased on scene.”

“The federal building was shot on by an active shooter,” U.S. Attorney Erin Nealy Cox said. “Law enforcement responded immediately and I want to assure the community, especially our downtown community, that the community is safe.”

There was cellphone captured by Dallas resident Tom Brown that shows a masked person outside, armed with some type of long gun, firing near an entrance to the building. The sounds of gunshots can be heard and smoke can be seen coming from several feet away, as the gunman runs across the street into the parking lot and collapses.

The suspect was given medical attention at the scene and then taken to a local hospital where he was later pronounced dead. Clyde’s vehicle was found nearby  and a police bomb squad later examined it “for precautionary reasons.” Several minutes after examining the car with a robot, police bomb squad members decided to blow up the vehicle.

Don Myles, a witness told a CBS Dallas affiliate, “I just saw a burst of people running out and a round of shots. It was just shots, maybe 10 or 15 shots all rapid shooting, and I just ran across the street into the traffic.”

All of the streets surrounding the federal building were closed after the shooting. Officials say no officers or citizens were injured during the incident.

The investigation has been handed to the FBI since the shooting took place on government property. The FBI will be assisted by the ATF, Federal Protective Service, U.S. Marshals, and the Dallas Police Department.

It was reported by CBS Dallas that Clyde had posted extensively about guns and ammunition on Facebook prior to the shooting.

Garrett Law Group

Garrett Law groupAt Garrett Law Group, we pride ourselves on principles of honesty, hard work, fair dealing and compassion in our representation. Our attorneys and staff are committed to adhering to a strict code of professional ethics. We dedicate ourselves to our clients’ best interests and making the legal process as painless and simple as possible for the injured and their family.